This week I made a new seat for the VD with a two-part SFI foam kit that I bought from the Speed Seat Factory. Gayle and Jody run Speed Seats out of their shop near Milwaukee, they specialize in building custom seats for their customers, but they also sell DIY kits. They will spend plenty of time with you via phone and email coaching you through the process, as you’ll have plenty of questions for them. I spent half a day prepping the cockpit – covering sharp edges, sealing off gaps, cutting foam inserts, getting the pour bag ready, etc. Then I had a couple racing buddies give me a hand with the mix and pour (you could get by with one, but two helpers makes it much easier). After letting it set up, removing the plug, and a couple of big cuts, it was time to start the next phase. This took the most time as it requires inserting and removing the seat MANY times to get the trimming and shaping done right. Now that it’s close, I’ve gaffer taped up the exposed foam sections and will try it out for a weekend before attempting to make the cover that comes with the kit.